Sunday, January 19, 2020

New England Trip 2015 Pt 4 Mystic River and Newport RI

From New Jersey we took the George Washington Bridge over to upper Manhattan on our way to Connecticut. Motorcycle riding is always a challenge in traffic but riding with a trailer in NYC is a real adventure. We made it out of the city and got on the expressway towards Rhode Island.
A pleasant side trip developed as we got off for a gas stop in Mystic River, Connecticut. Billie and I have a bit of an adventurous spirit in us so we did a little exploring in this little Seaport.
We went to this Seaport Museum but decided that there was not enough time to justify the $25 admission fee so I only took a few pictures at the entrance. It would probably be a nice place and worth the money if you had all day to spend and explore all the exhibits. So we got bac on the motorcycle and rode through the town and out around the coast and continued on to Newport, RI. I have always loved exploring ships and things historical. I find that sort of thing very fascinating.


I have often thought that I probably should have joined the Navy instead of the Air Force because of my love of ships but I also love airplanes and being from Norfolk, Virginia I had witnessed a lot of the things that our Sailors go through. Especially the separation from family while on those long cruises to see the world.  Being a newly married man after high school it was a no-brainer for me to take the route my brother had taken and join the Air Force.


On the trip around the coast we came upon this house built on this small island. Talk about a moat! I would love to have seen the infrastructure put in such as electric, water and sewer as this house was being built.  Looks like a nice place but wonder how it weathers the storms when the seas get angry.

We continued on to Newport, Rhode Island and the scenery along the way was absolutely beautiful. I wish I could post the pictures in my mind of all the great things we saw.
After checking into our hotel. We went exploring a little and went for dinner at a place called Anthony's Seafood Market which was recommended by our hotel. They not only sell seafood, they also cook and serve it there. Being in New England I had to have my favorite seafood dish, fried clam strips. Billie had Lobster. Both were amazing. Put this place on your must do list if you like seafood.
We had two nights in Newport and had planned to visit the mansions there on a self-guided tour. There are 5 mansions but we only managed to get to 3 of them. They were something to see. There was one, the Marble House I think, that was sold at auction some time back for $20,000 because the heirs did not want to maintain it any longer. What a steal.
You have to see these places to appreciate their beauty and historical significance. These were summer homes of the Wall Street Magnates of yesteryear.


These tours are highly recommended for their beauty and historical value.

The grounds are very well maintained and beautiful.

After our last tour we found our way back to Anthony's Seafood Market for another round of seafood. Just as good as the night before. The next day we were of to Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, the home of John F. Kennedy. 

No comments: