Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The New Ride - Our 2012 Dream Wing

After the accident on I-10 in August of 2015 Billie found us a beautiful replacement in Albuquerque, New Mexico. (see Earlier post "Our 2008 Gold Wing's Last Ride" for details)


This 2012 bike had a lot of the packages I really wanted on our next bike, including a Navigation/Serious XM radio package and most importantly ABS brakes.


The great part though was that this bike only had just over 5,000 miles on it and still had factory warranty. The seller was a very nice guy and included a lot of extras with the bike that was already at a good price.


After securing the financing, I booked a flight to Albuquerque on Southwest Airlines one way. My brother picked me up at the airport and drove me to the sellers house who actually lived north of Albuquerque a ways. I gave him his check and he gave me the keys and a bunch of goodies with the bike.
I spent a couple of nights with my brother and installed the highway pegs on the bike before heading back to Houston.


The ride home was one of the favorite rides I had made several times.  The Windmill farms north of Sweetwater, Texas are always a nice ride for me.  A long 15 hour day with nothing but the wind in my face and a lot of great tunes on the XM radio in my ears. There's just something about the open road and riding a motorcycle that will never be unseated in my heart or memories.



Once I got home then the personalization of the new toy began. I ordered a trailer hitch, a CB radio and luggage rack for the trunk. I had help from some great friends getting them all installed.


I purchased light kits at the Kansas District GWRRA Rally and put them on along with some lights in the saddle bags, trunk and pockets. Also had some ground effect lights added with plans to add more at a later date. Never too many lights on a Gold Wing for me.



More lights! It is nice have the saddle bags, trunk and front storage pockets lit at night. The lights were connected to a switch that turned them on when I lifted the trunk lid. Sure make it a lot easier to find things. I also added LED lighting inside the trailer.



These are the friends that helped with the installation of the trailer hitch and the CB radio. Many hands make for a light load but the camaraderie of friends makes for lasting memories.

Randy Rainwater

Steve Seligman
I loved the results of all of the things we added to the Wing.  I was a very comfortable ride and we got it all done in time for a big adventure to finish up our goal of riding in all 48 Continental States.



Next up will be our longest trip on our motorcycle. Over 5,000 miles covering much the Western United States. Stay tuned...

No comments: